Safety and Security – Cleary Act
The Jeanne Clery Act (summary)
- Schools must publish an annual report disclosing campus security policies and three years worth of selected crimes statistics.
- Schools must make timely warnings to the campus community about crimes that pose an ongoing threat to students and employees.
- Each institution with a police or security department must have a public crime log.
- The U.S. Department of Education centrally collects and disseminates the crime statistics.
- Campus sexual assault victims are assured of certain basic rights.
- Schools that fail to comply can be fined by the Department of Education.
CAMPUS CRIME STATISTICS FOR 2008*
*Click here if you need Adobe Reader software