Please Note: Due to State Board of Nursing requirements and a shortage of clinical placement sites, students who wish to enroll in the MSN Education or FNP programs or the DNP program, must reside in Arizona, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, New Mexico or Wisconsin. Some restrictions apply to the MSN Administration program. Please click here to see if the program is available in your area. If you have questions or need further clarification, please contact the office of admissions at (800) 735-7500.
Who are USF MSNs?
The master’s graduate of the Leach College of Nursing is an advanced nurse who functions in a nurse practitioner, nurse educator or nurse administrator role. The advanced nurse assumes a leadership role in the profession and in health care delivery. The graduate incorporates education and research into a practice that is reflective of the dynamic needs of a diverse population. Through the advanced role the graduate becomes instrumental in ensuring health promotion, health maintenance and health restoration for society. Through scientific inquiry and collaborative relationships the advanced practice nurse continually augments and refines the science of nursing.
Program Options (all programs are online)
Graduates of the MSN/FNP Program in Albuquerque, N.M.
- Family Nurse Practitioner (Albuquerque Campus and online) – The Family Nurse Practitioner track of study is offered completely online and at the university’s Albuquerque, N.M., campus. On-site classes for students at the Albuquerque campus are scheduled at times convenient for students who are working full time or traveling long distances.
- Family Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Administration – Based in solid nursing theory, the MSN in Administration prepares RNs to ethically manage nursing personnel and services in hospitals and other health care delivery agencies. In addition to the required core nursing courses in biostatistics/research, evidence-based practice, advanced practice nursing roles and population based health, this degree includes instruction in principles of health care administration, resource and financial management, health care law, personnel management, and managed care operations and global health.
- Nursing Education – The Nursing Education track of study is offered completely online for instruction tailored for each individuals needs.
- RN-BS-MSN – An MSN for RN’s with a non-nursing baccalaureate degree. Family Nurse Practitioner, Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, Nursing Administrator, and Nursing Educator
The Leach College of Nursing MSN program was developed to provide an educational program that will prepare the graduate nurse to:
- Incorporate concepts of advanced nursing roles into healthcare practices
- Demonstrate competence in advanced nursing roles within a variety of settings and with diverse populations
- Demonstrate leadership and management strategies in advanced nursing roles
- Analyze and synthesize individual and societal issues that influence health care
- Contribute to the development and refinement of nursing science
- Engage in collaborative relationships with members of interdisciplinary teams
- Engage in post-graduate academic and professional development activities
- Communicate effectively, conveying information correctly and accurately
Upon completion of the MSN program, the graduate will have the competencies to:
- Synthesize theoretical concepts from nursing and related disciplines as a basis for advanced nursing roles
- Implement an advanced nursing role in the health care delivery system
- Exemplify leadership roles within the health care system to promote patient-centered care
- Utilize scientific inquiry to validate and refine nursing knowledge
- Demonstrate evidence-based practice in advanced roles
- Provide care for diverse patients, families and communities in a culturally competent manner
- Engage in interdisciplinary relationships in practice settings