Dr. Joy Thompson
Associate professor and program director
Phone: (815) 740-3525
- B.S., Indiana University; M.A., M.F.A, Ed.D., Northern Illinois University
- Expertise/research in market analysis, program development and assessment
- Presenter, “A Model of Program Development,” Illinois Council on Continuing Higher Education (ICCHE) Conference, Chicago, February 2008.
- Panel Presenter, “Effective Instructional Strategies in an Online Environment: Live Presentations in Online Classes,” Commission of Professors of Adult Education (CPAE), American Association of Adult Continuing Education (AAACE) Conference, Norfolk, VA, November 2007.
- “Utilizing External Evaluators: Assessing Student Outcomes in an Adult Education Master’s Degree,” Midwest Research-to-Practice Conference, St. Louis, October 2006.
- Panel Presenter, “The A,B, C’s of Adult Education: Access, Benefit, Costs,” Resources for Adults in the Chicago Area (REACh) Professional Development Day, Chicago, April, 2006.
- “A Model of Adjunct Faculty Support,” Commission of Professors of Adult Education (CPAE), American Association of Adult Continuing Education (AAACE) Conference, Pittsburgh, November 2005.
The key to motivating adult students is to create learning situations in which the content is meaningful to them in two ways:
1. Materials that students are learning must be clear and should build on past experiences so that they understand the meaning.
2. Materials must meet the needs of students’ goals and interests so that they are relevant or meaningful.
- Likes live jazz and designer hand-crafted jewelry