Program Mission, Goals, and Objectives
The University of St. Francis offers its master of science in Physician Assistant Studies program in the land of enchantment—New Mexico—within the city of Albuquerque that offers a rich diversity of cultures, exciting attractions and a magical landscape.
The Physician Assistant program at USF’s Albuquerque Campus is a full-time, 27-month program. The program consists of 15 months of didactic classroom basic medical sciences, behavioral and social sciences, clinical preparatory sciences and professional practice issues. This is followed by 12 continuous months of supervised clinical learning experiences. Students must complete the entire 27-month program at the University of St. Francis. Upon successful completion of the entire program of study, the student will be awarded a Master of Science degree.
The mission of the PA program is to educate highly qualified Physician Assistants preparing them to become competent, compassionate and comprehensive health care providers for practice in medically underserved areas. Our vision is that our graduates will be leaders in the health care community, continuously striving for excellence in their professional endeavors while providing for the health care needs of the medically underserved.
Our goals for the Program include:
- To identify those individuals who have a strong interest in providing care for the medically underserved.
- To identify for admission those individuals with the academic background, interpersonal skills, and maturity necessary to practice as Physician Assistants.
- To provide a coordinated, comprehensive didactic and clinical curriculum that will allow our graduates to deliver the highest quality of health care services.
- To promote a didactic and clinical educational environment that embraces the concepts of continuous communication, cooperation and compassion.
- To instill in our students the core values of the University of St. Francis that include: respect, integrity, compassion and service above self.
- To provide our students with the medical knowledge, clinical skills, and humanistic attitudes to practice as a Physician Assistant anywhere and within any type of clinical practice.
- To continuously promote a comprehensive approach to health and disease by emphasizing health maintenance, disease prevention and life long learning.
- To develop in our students an appreciation of the dignity of the individual and that individuals right to a quality life.
- To promote continued professional growth through research, study, and participation in lifelong learning activities.
- To strive for excellence while employing professional ethics as a member of the health care profession focusing on service to others.