Social workers, child and family social workers, medical and public health social worker, mental health and substance abuse social workers are some of the positions available in the social work field.
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics provided the following career information:
- Employment in social work is projected to grow much faster than average
- About five out of 10 jobs are in health care and social assistance industries
- About three in 10 social workers are employed with state and local government agencies
- More opportunity for jobs will exist in underserved rural and suburban areas
- Job prospects are expanding in gerontology and may also be high in substance abuse treatment
- The median annual earnings for social workers were $47,370 in May 2012.