What is the number of freight railroads in Illinois, and how many miles does it cover?
- Illinois has a total of 42 freight railroads that cover 7,313 miles across the state.
How many railroads are in the Will County area?
- Will county is home to three Class I railroads: BNSF Railway, Union Pacific Railroad, and Canadian National.
What is the legal length limit to the number of cargo cars a train can pull?
- There is currently no length limitation on trains.
What kind of freight to rails carry?
- Rails typically carry bulk goods, perishables, and time-sensitive goods such as machinery, automobiles, and parts.
How does Will County play a role in Chicago’s status as a major freight hub?
- Will county plays a part in the “freight crossroads of America” by housing three Interstate Highways (I-80, I-55, and I-57) and the three Class I railroads previously mentioned.
What is the number of freight truckloads carried across Illinois, and how many tons does it total?
- The total carloads of freight carried across Illinois is 3,019,400 at 99,800,000 tons.
What are the top 3 “goods” transported in Illinois?
- Mixed freight, farm products, and coal
What is the primary way goods are transported across the United States?
- In 2002, trucks dominated the freight industry in the areas of value, weight, and ton-miles.
What is full truckload, FTL?
- FTL are shipments larger than 15,000 pounds and less than 45,000. FTL shipments usually travel as the only shipment on a trailer and are delivered on the same trailer that picks them up.
Five Warning Signs of Inefficient Dock Scheduling
Is more domestic or international freight carried on the water?
- Domestic waterborne ton-miles and tonnage has declined over the last two decades. However, maritime transportation carries over ¾ of the weight of all U.S. international freight.
How much is maritime transportation used?
- The United States’ Inland Waterway carries about 600 million tons of domestic freight each year. That is approximately 16% of the total freight in the country.
What is the definition of the term intermodal?
- Intermodal is when cargo is carried by more than one mode (i.e. ship to truck).
What are container ships?
- Container ships are cargo ships that carry their entire load in truck-size containers, in a technique called containerization. This technique is a common means of intermodal freight transport.