AboutUSF History Living History Project Digital Archives USF Home
 
Previous Page
Sources
Campus Life
Events Button
Class Photos
 

Assisi Junior College 1925 - 1930

  "Groundwork was laid for an institution of higher learning as the enrollment and the curriculum of St. Francis Academy grew with the reopening in 1915. The need for more space recurred.
  This time the Academy was extended into a new building at the end of the property facing Wilcox Street.
  The groundbreaking ceremony for Tower Hall was accompanied by a Joliet city celebration and a parade. The speeches given by dignitaries at the cornerstone and dedication ceremonies suggested a future college on this site.
  City of Joliet Mayor Sehring is quoted as saying ‘The citizens of Joliet are proud of this educational institution and I wish to convey their sentiments in asking your (Archbishop Mundelein) permission which will enable the Sisters to open a junior college system.'
 

Article 3 of the Charter had been amended in 1920 by the General Council of Sisters adding: ‘…institutions of learning devoted to the education of young ladies and divided into the several departments or Colleges of Liberal Arts, Science, Philosophy, Literature, Fine Arts, Music, Domestic Arts and Sciences and the various Commercial branches…'

The Archbishop was again petitioned for the opening of the college."2
"With permission granted and the decision made to open the College, the sisters were faced with the problem of what to name the new school. The Sisters also debated whether they should begin as a four-year or two-year institution. It was advised that they start as a junior college and change to a four-year college after becoming well established. The name Assisi was suggested by his Eminence, Cardinal Mundelien and accepted by the Sisters; hence the College became Assisi Junior College."7

The Sisters recruited at the Academy and in the cities of Ottawa, Morris, Seneca, Marseilles, and Milwaukee. The first girl to visit the college and enroll was Miss Catherine Irene Mulcahy from Delavan, Illinois. By the end of the first year, nine girls and six novices were enrolled in classes at Assisi Junior College."7

  "During the years from 1925 to 1929, the enrollment increased, facilities were improved, and visitation teams inspected the College and its programs. Enrollment figures revealed the steady growth: 16 in 1925, 17 in 1926, 24 in 1927, 47 in 1928 and 93 in 1929. The facilities were altered to accommodate the needs of the expanding student body, and inspection of the facilities and programs brought state accreditation in May of 1930.
  Accreditation having been given, the Sisters thought it necessary to expand to a senior college, and thus opened the College for third year work in September of 1930 with five juniors scheduled in various departments. With the opening of the 1930-1931 scholastic year and the expansion to the senior institution, the name was changed from Assisi Junior College to the College of
St. Francis."
7