AboutUSF History Living History Project Digital Archives USF Home
 
Previous Page
Sources
Campus Life
Events Button
Class Photos
 

College of St. Francis 1930 to 1998

  "Assisi Junior College experienced an excellent beginning. The sisters easily received approval for a four-year liberal arts college for women by 1930.
CSF & SFA advertisement

The remodeled gray stone building had the dignity that befit the College which was renamed the College of
St. Francis."
2,1

"Accreditation recognition was received from the North Central Association of Colleges and Universities in 1938."5

CSF emblem
"Mother Thomasine Frye the colleges' first president gave what she considered its primary purpose. ‘Our College exists first for the education of our own Sisters to prepare them for teaching apostolate, and then to help in the education of sisters from smaller communities not fortunate enough to have their own colleges.' Figures in a registrar's report from 1965 indicated that its thirty-second session was attended by sisters from 29 communities.
CSF scholarship advertisement
Young Joliet women were quick to take advantage of the small but highly rated college so close to home. Out-of-state students, however, soon outnumbered them. In the late 1940's a scholarship program for foreign students enabled girls from China, Korea, Viet Nam, and South and Central America to earn a bachelor's degree."3
  "The involvement of the faculty and student body with the local community was evident from the very beginning. Will County's 100th anniversary in 1936 featured the writings of CSF students in the Herald News.
Arrange Peace Conference
Faculty member, Dr. Frank Weberg in 1936 instigated the Papal peace program here; he also arranged for the Midwest International Peace Conference of the Catholic Association to be held at CSF in 1939, a very crucial year.
Red Cross & CSF war time effort Shortly thereafter the Red Cross depended on CSF for training preparedness; still later CSF was designated as a Civil Defense Shelter."5
  "During the forties, many new fields of study opened to St. Francis students, and three new majors were introduced. In January of 1943, two new Bachelor of Arts Degrees were approved by the faculty—one in Spanish due to the growing importance of the Spanish language because of Inter-American relationships and another in Science because of the heavy requirements demanded for scientific careers. In the fall of 1944, Art was announced as a major for the first time in the College's history. Certain new courses were related to the war. In History, for example, a two-hour course was designed to cover "the Far East and the Pacific, Japanese and Chinese history, the Philippine Islands, Russia, Dutch colonial possessions and the French, English and American interests in the Far East."7
  "Co-operative programs began with extension classes from DePaul University and Loyola University.
  Space constraints from the beginning were a challenge. The College became very creative in relocating and sharing space for needed programs. Sister Elvira Bredel with her Board of Advisors began the caritas dinner celebration in 1958.
St. Albert Hall ground breaking In 1959, Sister Joan Preising, chemist turned author realized the completion of her personal project, the raising of money for a new science building. The dedication of St. Albert hall was a day of great rejoicing!
  Student housing was also a space problem. Off-campus housing acquired in 1946 and 1947 was located in three homes on Bridge Street: Marian Hall, Angela Hall and the Sehring Mansion were a temporary solution."5