AboutUSF History Living History Project Digital Archives USF Home
 
Previous Page
Sources
 
 
 
Rev. Pamfilo da Magliano

Franciscan Beginnings

"The Congregation of the Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate at Joliet, Illinois, was established August 2, 1865, by Sister M. Alfred Moes, under the direction of the Very Rev. Pamfilo da Magliano, Custos Provincial of the Friars Minor of the province of the Immaculate Conception at Allegeny, Cattaraugus County, New York, and with the approbation of the bishop of Chicago, the Rt. Rev. James Duggan, D.D.
Mother Alfred Moes Sister M. Alfred Moes and three other Sisters, namely, Sister M. Bernard Peacard, Sister M. Barbara Moes and Sister M. Alberta Stockhof, had been members of the community of the Sisters of the Holy Cross at St. Mary's, South Bend, Indiana. During the years of disquietude and worry, when the independence of the Sisters of the Holy Cross from their motherhouse in France was pending, not a few Sisters severed their connection with the congregation at St. Mary's, among them these four Sisters, who, having been dispensed from their obligations toward the said congregation in 1863, forthwith sought and obtained affiliation to the Third Order of St. Francis.
  Previous to the establishment of the new congregation, Sister Alfred and Sister Bernard had taught since November 3, 1863, in Joliet at St. John the Baptist School, which was under the pastorate of Rev. Karl Kuemin, in answer to whose call the Sisters had come to Joliet. This was the first community of religious teachers in Joliet, as well as the first Franciscan sisterhood in Illinois.
1st residence of the Sisters in Joliet On their arrival in Joliet the sisters took up their temporary abode in the upper story of a stone house on Broadway, near Division Street, owned by Jacob Hausser, an outside stairway leading to their apartments. Their first permanent residence in Joliet was a small stone house near the southeast corner of Broadway and Division Street, which, with the two adjoining lots, they purchased on March 23, 1864, from Archibald McIntyre for the sum of six hundred dollars.
  In the spring of 1865, two years after their affiliation, Father Pamfilo permitted Sister Alfred to receive postulants, with a view of founding a new congregation of Franciscan Sisters at Joliet, and the first postulant was admitted March 24, 1865.
  During the summer of 1865 Sister Alfred received an invitation from Father Pamfilo to bring her postulant to Allegany, New York, for the purpose of investing her with the religious habit, fixing the day for August second, the feast of Portiuncula. Arriving at Allegany in due time, the ceremony took place in St. Bonaventure's Chapel. On the same day Father Pamfilo appointed Sister Alfred the first Mother Superior of the new congregation at Joliet.
 

Mother Alfred presided over the community as Superior until August 21, 1876, when her successor, Sister M. Alberta Stockhof, was elected.
At the time Mother Alfred's successor was elected the community was in charge of twenty-three schools in various states."1