AboutUSF History Living History Project Digital Archives USF Home
 
Previous Page
Sources
 
 
 
 

Recognition

"With the formation of the Minnesota Congregation, several changes were made in the Joliet foundation. The Motherhouse and St. Francis Academy were not built as separate establishments on the east side of Joliet as originally planned by Mother Alfred Moes; instead the new St. Francis Convent and Academy were built and completed in August 1882 on the edge of the city. The reputation of excellence in education continued.
  During these beginning years in the new location, the Sisters and girls of St. Francis Academy were recognized with the highest awards at the Columbian Exposition, the World's fair in Chicago 1892 – 93. This event was well-timed for the Sisters of St. Francis. Girls were enrolled from New Jersey, Nebraska, Iowa, Indiana, Wisconsin, Washington, D.C., Ohio, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Kansas and all parts of Illinois. The reputation of St. Francis academy was spreading to all parts of the USA.
  Unfortunately the inevitable happened and in June 1904 the academy outgrew its building and faculty. It was decided to limit curriculum and enrollment in order to direct all energies to the preparation of teachers for parochial school work. The art and music departments remained open to extern pupils; however the academic and normal courses were only available to aspirants, postulants and novices."2,1
Guardian Angel Home "It was also during this period of time in 1897 that the Sisters undertook a special work of mercy. A small cottage on the convent grounds served as a home for the neglected and destitute children of Joliet. In 1898, a larger building was needed and the Fox residence was purchased and remodeled. It was dedicated and titled as the ‘Guardian Angel Home.' Because of a great number of applicants the building was enlarged in 1904 enabling the Sisters to house an average of over 100 children."1