Freight Movements

Which areas link with Chicago by freight transport?

Each changing graph shows the areas of our nation that link to Chicago. Each one shows the areas responsible for the top 80% of freight movement, ranked by thousands of dollars (M$) of value. This gives a very good idea of which connections with the Chicago area are most important ones.

  • The bars show the M$ moved to or from that location.
  • The red line shows the cumulative percentage of M$ up to that location.

Graphs such as this are called Pareto charts. They are often used to make decisions about the links with the highest importance. At least 80% of the dollar value may go between only a few other locations, or to and from many locations. the other 20% or so of the value constitutes a much smaller part of the whole freight movement picture. Each graph displays one mode of transportation and one category and direction of move. Click on a link to see an enlarged version of the chart.

  Imports to Chicago Domestic to Chicago Domestic from Chicago Exports from Chicago
by Truck by Truck by Truck by Truck
by Rail by Rail by Rail by Rail
by Multiple Modes by Multiple Modes by Multiple Modes by Multiple Modes
by Pipeline by Pipeline by Pipeline by Pipeline
by Water by Water
by Air by Air

 

The data come from the Freight Analysis Framework FAF3 data for 2011 compiled by the US Federal Highway Administration and displayed on their website http://www.ops.fhwa.dot.gov/freight/freight_analysis/faf/index.htm.  The graphs were prepared by Dr Bruce Hartman of the USF Intermodal Transportation Institute in September, 2013.

FHWA

 

Further details on freight movements can be found in a paper by Dr Chris Clott and Dr Bruce Hartman of the USF Intermodal Transportation Institute.  You may request a copy by email to cclott@stfrancis.edu