1550 Plainfield Rd.
Joliet, IL 60435
All Joliet area residents are likely very familiar with the Guardian Angel Home, a large building that sits atop a hill like a castle at the corner of Plainfield Road and Theodore Street in Joliet.
The facility, built by the Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate in 1925 has given the Sisters a place to help and house orphaned, abused or troubled children for nearly 90 years. Because the home’s mission has always been to serve and assist young people, it seems fitting that the University of St. Francis has purchased the building and will occupy the space starting in late summer of 2014.
Major plans for the building include creating more office space for University staff and administrators in order to re-develop dorm rooms on the main campus, and the expanding the Leach College of Nursing (LCON) facilities. The new space will include more classrooms to meet the needs of USF’s in-demand nursing program.
LCON, which has been recognized nationally for its outstanding online programs, has seen great growth in enrollment over the past few years. In part, this is due to the creation of new partnerships with area community colleges through the RN to BSN “fast track” program.
Expansion will continue to be essential in order to serve the growing number of USF students who are becoming nurses, so the University was happy the Sisters decided to keep the Guardian Angel building in the Franciscan family.