International students attending USF on an F-1 visa are allowed to work to 20 hours a week (part-time) when classes are in session and 40 hours a week (full-time) during breaks on campus (Fall break, Spring Break, Thanksgiving Break, Christmas Break, Summer Break).

International students cannot apply for work-study positions on campus because they are funded by U.S. government.

Please contact Career Services or Human Resources for more information about current work positions.

When you receive a job offer, contact the international advisor to receive information on how to apply for a Social Security card. You cannot start working on campus until you receive a Social Security card.

More information about on campus employment (Adobe PDF)



International students on an F-1 visa can apply for off-campus employment authorization if they face economic problems because of an unexpected change in their financial situation.

International students must complete one academic year at USF to apply for off-campus employment. They need to submit their application to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Bureau.

The off-campus employment card is issued for one year. F-1 students are able to work 20 hours a week while classes are in session and 40 hours a week during breaks.

Please contact the International Programs Office for more information.

Economic Hardship Application form (Adobe PDF)



All international students will need to apply for a social security number in order to work on or off campus. It is a nine-digit number issued by the Social Security Administration.
International students should apply for a social security number for employment purposes only. Students must have a job offer to be able to apply for a social security number.

Social Security Number Application form (Adobe PDF)

For more information about obtaining a social security number, please contact the International Programs Office.



F-1 students who completed a Bachelor’s or graduate degree are eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). It is a good opportunity for international students to gain employment experience in a particular field of study. International students are eligible for 12 months of OPT. The USCIS must receive the student’s OPT application within 30 days of the date OPT was recommended in SEVIS, and no earlier than 90 days before the program end date or no more than 60 days after the program end date. Please contact the international advisor prior to graduation to receive your card on time.

OPT Application Form (Adobe PDF)
Responsibilities While on OPT (Adobe PDF)



Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is employment that is an integral part of an established curriculum in student’s field. CPT can be an internship, cooperative education, or anything related to the student’s degree program. CPT is available to students that have been in lawful status as a full time student for one full academic year, unless the student’s graduate program requires an immediate CPT experience. The training may be full time or part time.

More information about CPT

Academic Adviser CPT form (Adobe PDF)

CPT Student Request form (Adobe PDF)