The field of music promises a creative career, and to prepare students, the University of St. Francis offers a friendly and supportive environment with a multitude of performance opportunities—recitals, concerts, theater and classes.
The Bachelor of Art in Music is a four-year degree preparing students for music-filled careers that allow for creative thinking and expression, and offers the rewarding experience of sharing one’s art with others. For those who teach students – either in a classroom, studio, or private lessons – the experience of helping others express themselves through music can be extremely gratifying.
Through classes and extracurricular activities, students will have ample opportunities to expand their musical abilities. The university hosts a variety musical and theater performances open to the public, giving students a chance to showcase their talents. The Music program also offers a Digital Audio Recording Arts concentration for students interested in exploring the technical side of music production.
If you’re serious about learning everything about music from theory to performance to recording, the Music program at the University of St. Francis is for you.
The University of St. Francis is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (hlcommission.org), a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
“USF has given me an unforgettable experience. Faculty members have allowed me to grow both intellectually and as a person. Each professor has supported me and my goals, and was more than willing to help me achieve anything I set my mind to. I was pushed and motivated to learn, grow, and become a better person. This incredible support system has surrounded me with an incredible group of colleagues, mentors, and friends.”
What Can You Do With This Degree?
Think outside the box when it comes to careers in music. There is so much that can be done with a degree in music beyond teaching or performing – but if that’s your passion, it can open up doors for that, too! A Bachelor of Art in Music leads to exciting and fulfilling careers in music-related fields such as music merchandising, music business, music technology, music management, copyright law, music copyist, composing, film scoring, private studio teaching and more. Music professors at the University of St. Francis have ample professional experience and help students discover their calling and guide them to the careers to which they aspire.
Grow Through Real-World Experience
In addition to hands-on coursework, the University of St. Francis offers ensembles designed to cater to all types of musicians, including:
- Concert Chorale: All singers welcome!
- Schola Cantorum: A select chamber ensemble performing a wide variety of choral repertoire.
- Singing Saints: Performances written for female voices.
- Vocal Jazz Ensemble – Swingin’ Saints: Singers perform “anything that swings!”
- USF Band: Our brand new university pep band
- JJC Community Band: USF students may register for this 100-member instrumental ensemble.
- Jazz Combo: Students are invited to audition for this jazz performance group, which also provides a scholarship opportunity.
- Joliet Symphony Orchestra: This university-community partnership performs varied work for orchestra.
- Saints on Stage: This club presents two theater productions a year, one being a musical or light opera.