General Safety Tips
- Call 815-740-3200 or 911 if you feel unsafe.
- At night, try to stay in well-lit areas and use routes that are more heavily traveled.
- Avoid walking alone through isolated areas; avoid shortcuts through parking lots.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Travel in groups whenever possible.
- Use the buddy system; when with a friend at a party or local establishment, agree to watch out for each other and to leave the event together or in a group.
- Avoid intoxicating substances and criminal activity.
- Report suspicious persons to activities to Security immediately at 3200.
- Always lock your office/dorm door.
- Never leave valuables in plain sight, always put them in a drawer or cabinet.
- Familiarize yourself with the location of telephones and blue boxes.
- Emergency phones are located throughout the University of St. Francis campus. These phones are distinguished by their 9-foot blue colored poles with illuminated blue lights at their tops. These poles have “Emergency” or ”Security” written on their sides, while there are also blue light phone boxes mounted on several exterior and interior facility buildings.
- In an emergency, simply press the red button. The University Safety, Security and Transportation Department dispatcher will immediately know your exact location. Talk directly into the speaker in the center of the phone. Relay information about your emergency.
Parking Lot Safety
- Have your keys in your hand so you don’t have to search for them when you reach your vehicle.
- Before entering your vehicle, visually inspect the interior for anything suspicious.
- As soon as you entering your vehicle, lock all the doors and turn on your headlights.
- When parking at night try parking in a well-lit area.
- You can call Campus Security 24/7 for an escort to any building on campus.
Residence Hall Safety
- Always lock your door.
- Do not prop open doors and immediately close any you see propped.
- Don’t let strangers into your room or residence hall.
- Don’t keep valuables in plain sight.
- Do not give your room key to anyone.
- Report lost or stolen keys to Campus Security (3200) or Residence Education (3434).