Students are encouraged to take complaints about a person or office directly to the person against whom the complaint is directed. However, not all complaints can be resolved one on one. Therefore, the university has created an online process by which a student can file an official complaint (myusf.stfrancis.edu/portal/secure/student/complaints). All complaints will be managed by an impartial representative of USF who is not involved in the area of the complaint. Complaints submitted on this form will be directed to the person who can most appropriately address the complaint. There will be no adverse action taken against the student for registering a complaint. Students will be notified of the actions taken regarding the complaint.
- The complaint must be filed in a timely fashion, usually within 30 days of the occurrence of the action that led to the complaint.
- The student will be notified of the actions taken to address the complaint.
- All attempts at resolution will be made by the office or person directly related to the complaint.
- If there is no resolution, the complaint will be sent to administrator overseeing the department with the complaint for possible mediation should both parties agree to it.
- If a mediation is completed, a written response from the administrator overseeing the department with the complaint will be provided to the complainant within 10 days of the receipt of the complaint.
New Mexico Students
If a complaint cannot be resolved by USF, the student can contact:
New Mexico Higher Education Department
2044 Galisteo Street, Suite 4
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505
If a complaint cannot be resolved by USF, the student can use the IBHE Complaint System at the Illinois Board of Higher Education and register a complaint.