Joliet, Ill. – The University of St. Francis (USF) College of Education is offering book study series that provides educators with common interests an opportunity to engage in educational topics and immediately apply them to the classroom and learning environment. Texts selected for the series focus on improving instruction and increasing student growth.
Schooltalk: Rethinking What We Say About and To Students Every Day
Mica Pollock, Author
April 12 – May 17, 2021 | online
Earn 15 PD hours
$50 plus cost of book
Culturally Responsive Teaching and The Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
Zaretta L. Hammond, Author
May 17 – June 14, 2021 | online
Earn 9 PD hours
$50 plus cost of book
About the Book Study Format
Participants should note the following items regarding the book study series:
- Upon registration, participants should purchase the book (book purchase information is available at registration) and begin reading the text at their leisure.
- The link to the book study platform and specific due dates for activities will be sent to the preferred email (submitted with registration) the week prior to the start of the book study.
- The text will be divided into sections. Participants will complete discussion posts with feedback to others and a final reflection explaining application of text to profession.
- A moderator will participate in discussions, as well as review and provide feedback on final reflections.
- Licensed Illinois educators must complete all required discussions/activities as assigned to receive professional development hours. No partial hours will be awarded.
- Participants successfully completing a book study may choose to apply the experience toward one graduate credit. Additional fee applies for this option.
Visit stfrancis.edu/real/professional-learning/ to register for either book study or to explore additional educational opportunities.
The University of St. Francis, in Joliet, Ill., serves close to 4,000 students nationwide and offers undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and certificate programs in the arts and sciences, business, education, nursing and social work. There are over 51,000 USF alumni across the globe. For information, call 800-735-7500 or visit stfrancis.edu.
University of St. Francis: Bigger thinking. Brighter purpose.
# # #