Welcome international students! The University of St. Francis (USF) is a small private Catholic Franciscan university located in a beautiful historic suburban neighborhood about 35 miles southwest of Chicago, IL., a short train ride away! The small size of the University of St. Francis provides international students with an opportunity to be fully immersed in university culture and receive personal attention in their academic studies that is not always possible at larger universities.
USF promotes the inclusion of all students, regardless of their citizenship, ethnicity, religion or background. USF will assist all international students in achieving their educational goals and overcome the challenges of studying and living in a foreign country. We will work with you in applying to USF and obtain an F-1 visa to study in the USA. We offer a wide variety of support services for international students including advising, F-1 visa counseling, English language support, and international and cultural events.
Videos with Subtitles
- Campus Resources for International Students: Make sure to check out our International Programs Office as soon as you get to campus!
- Joliet, IL- The City of Excitement: Our university is consistently ranked among the best when it comes to quality education, affordability and accessibility in The City of Excitement!
- Career Center and Alumni Resources: USF graduates report high rates of job placement and satisfaction with their USF experience.
Applying for Admission
USF accepts applications year-round without deadline restrictions:
- Admission Requirements & Application Process for International Students: We encourage international applicants to apply as early as possible.
- English Language Requirements: If your first language is not English, you will be required to provide test results verifying your English proficiency.
- Areas of Study: USF offers more than majors, minors, certificate and Intensive English programs for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Connect on Facebook: Meet our current USF international students on the Facebook.
Housing and Student Life
The residential living options at the University of St. Francis are varied and unique. As a department, we are committed to providing a safe and education living environment. One of the things we pride ourselves on is the community students feel while living on campus.
- Residence Halls & Living-Learning Communities: More than 500 students live on campus their first year, and many transfer students and upperclassmen choose University Housing, too.
- Student Organizations & Clubs: Choose from more than 30 student groups and organizations.
- University of St. Francis Culture Connect Program: USF Students become mentors to our new international students. Through Culture Connect, USF students and the USF Community can help to welcome and ease the transition for these incoming international students.
- Resources for Diverse Students: Resources for underrepresented students, veterans, students with disabilities, and first-generation college students.
Costs, Scholarships, & Financial Aid
Tuition varies depending on your area of study.
- Estimated Costs of Attendance for International Students: These are the estimated costs of tuition, fees, books, health insurance, and living expenses for a full-time international student.
- Scholarships for International Students: The university offers several scholarships to outstanding international first-year and transfer students.
For additional information about studying in the United States: EducationUSA’s “Your 5 Steps to U.S. Study”