Dr. Arvid C. Johnson was installed as the ninth president of the University of St. Francis in June 2013. In addition to a bachelor’s degree in physics (Lewis University, Romeoville, Ill.) and a master’s degree in electrical engineering (Northeastern University, Boston, Mass.), Arvid holds an MBA from the Kenan-Flagler Business School at the University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, N.C.), and a Ph.D. in management science from the Stuart School of Business at the Illinois Institute of Technology (Chicago, Ill.).
Prior to joining the University of St. Francis, Arvid served as the Dean of the Brennan School of Business at Dominican University since 2008 – and as a Professor of Management since 2001. He presently serves on several boards including the Illinois Council on Economic Education (Governing Board), Will County Center for Economic Development, National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA, Council of Presidents), the Council of Independent Colleges, First Secure Bank & Trust Company, Red Cross of the Illinois River Valley, and the Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center Community Leadership Board.
Prior to entering academia on a full-time basis in 2001, Arvid was a principal in a management consulting firm and worked with companies ranging in size from startups to multi-million-dollar business units of Fortune 500 companies to describe, account for, explain, and exploit the variability present in their manufacturing and service processes. Arvid also has over 15 years of engineering, manufacturing, and senior management experience in a variety of business environments including Northrop Grumman Corporation, Microwave Laboratories and Varian Associates. He founded and served as the chair of Information Resources, Inc.’s Analytics Advisory Board from 2003-2008, and led that company’s efforts to establish a global Research & Development function.
Arvid has published and presented extensively in the areas of quantitative analysis, microwave materials processing, advanced manufacturing practices, and strategic management. He holds 12 U.S. (and dozens of foreign) patents. His extensive list of publications includes 20 peer-reviewed journal articles, more than 19 book chapters and custom textbooks, and more than 42 peer-reviewed conference proceedings. He is the recipient of numerous honors, grants and awards.
Arvid and his family live in Frankfort, Illinois.
A Message from Arvid:
A president’s homepage is an interesting – some might even say funny – place to end up when visiting a university’s website.
- Maybe you’re a prospective student, wondering if the president is young, good-looking and cool. (No, no and only occasionally!)
- Maybe you’re one of our 3,900 or so existing students, wondering what Arvid is up to of late. (The BEST place to find that is my Twitter feed.)
- Maybe you’re one of our 48,000 alumni, wondering who’s running the place now that you’re gone. (Welcome back!)
However you ended up here, WELCOME!
USF is a “welcoming community of learners challenged by Franciscan values and charism” that prepares “women and men to contribute to the world through service and leadership.” It says so in our mission statement – so it must be true! …And, it is.
As I said in my inaugural address, the “USF Family” – our students, alumni, faculty, staff, and friends – are called to serve and, through service, called to lead. Service is a fundamental, integrating value of our Franciscan heritage because it is through service that we come to know Christ in each other – by recognizing the divine both in ourselves and in others and by putting others’ needs before our own. This is a service based in joy, not obligation.
Through service, the USF family is called to lead and love in the real world.
- Our students are not only talented but also compassionate and committed to improving the lives of others through service and leadership.
- Our faculty members are world-class teachers who make educating our students their No. 1 priority.
- Our staff members work tirelessly to care for our students and to ensure their success.
- Our alumni are not only the best at what they do – true leaders in their fields – but also recognize USF’s contribution to what they have accomplished.
- And, our local community members – whether elected officials, businesses, faith communities, other organizations, or neighbors – are true partners in every sense of that word.
The USF family is clearly called to lead through service – and is having a positive impact upon those it serves.
No matter how you ended up on this page, I invite you to learn more about this special place – the University of St. Francis – and the incredible people who call it home. Explore the rest of the website, schedule a visit or drop me a note at email@example.com. You’ll be glad you did!
The University of St. Francis was founded by and is sponsored by the Sisters of St. Francis of St. Mary Immaculate— also known as the “Joliet Franciscans.”
The president relies on the university’s Officers of Administration to keep the university running smoothly. This includes the provost and numerous vice presidents, who oversee the various administrative and academic departments at the University of St. Francis, including academics, admissions, finance, student activities, campus operations and university mission and ministry.
Officers of Administration:
- Julee Gard | Vice President for Administration and Finance
- Sr. Mary Elizabeth Imler, OSF | Vice President of Mission Integration and University Ministry
- Beth Roth, Ph.D. | Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs
- Damon M. Sloan | Vice President of Student and Alumni Affairs
- Kristin Short | Vice President for University Advancement
- Eric Wignall | Vice President of Admissions, Enrollment Services and Marketing