Joliet, Ill. – The University of St. Francis (USF) Art & Design Department recently hosted its annual high school art exhibition and competition at the USF Art Gallery in downtown Joliet. The exhibition ran from January 15 through 31, and included over 170 entries from students representing 12 regional high schools.
Winners of the competition included:
- Grand Prize ($10,000 USF Art & Design Scholarship): Samantha Gonzalez, Joliet Central High School;
- Best of Show – Painting ($100 Visa gift card): Ismael Corral, Oswego High School;
- Best of Show – Photo ($100 Visa gift card): Micah Greene, Joliet Central High School;
- Best of Show – Sculpture ($100 Visa gift card): Karla Rodriguez, Joliet Central High School;
- Best of Show – Works on Paper ($100 Visa gift card): Johanna Zaportiza, Oswego East High School;
- Best of Show – Digital ($100 Visa gift card): Karly Ceci, Romeoville High School, and;
- Honorable Mention ($25 Visa gift card): Amelia Fritz and Cassie Moore from Coal City High School; Patricia Kroczka from Downers Grove North High School; Gabi Georgieva and Daniel Liu from Illinois Math & Science Academy; Ryan Hearne from Joliet Catholic Academy; Liz Lopez, Cassandra Pina, Nathaniel Smith and Emily Tirado from Joliet Central High School; Anna Buan, Danielle Donovan, Madison Glaser, Alana Kozbiel, Grace Kuhn, Alexander Peters, Jaime Rasmussen, Kendall Sackmann and Nicole Stankiewicz from Oswego High School; James Kramer from Oswego East High School; Shea Borger; Grace Clarke, Natalie Keene and Isabel Ortiz from Plainfield South High School; and Zadie Sims from Reed-Custer High School.
A reception and awards ceremony was held on Saturday, January 15.
Participating high schools included: Bremen High School, Coal City High School, Downers Grove North High School, Illinois Math & Science Academy, Joliet Central High School, Joliet Catholic Academy, Oswego East High School, Oswego High School, Plainfield South High School, Reed-Custer High School, Romeoville High School and Waubonsie Valley High School.
About the USF Art Gallery
The USF Art Gallery, located at 25 E. Van Buren Street in Joliet, is open to the public (USF COVID-19 safety requirements must be followed) Tuesdays through Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The gallery’s next exhibit will be Sherri Denault: From a Whirlwind, which will run from February 15 through March 15. The exhibit will include an artist talk on March 1 at 1 p.m. and a public reception on March 5 from 12 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Visit stfrancis.edu/artgallery/ for more information.
The University of St. Francis, in Joliet, Ill., serves close to 4,000 students nationwide and offers undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and certificate programs in the arts and sciences, business, education, nursing and social work. There are over 52,000 USF alumni across the globe. For information, call 800-735-7500 or visit stfrancis.edu.
University of St. Francis: Bigger thinking. Brighter purpose.
# # #