Housing Residency Policy

We realize that some students may have unique circumstances which may qualify for an exemption to this policy. The exemption request process is intended to provide an avenue for those students who have graduated high school within the last two years but fall under one or more of the categories listed below so they may identify themselves to Residence Education if they want to live off-campus:
  • The student lives at the permanent full-time address of a parent, legal guardian, or university approved family member within 35.0 driving miles of the university as determined by Google Maps.
  • The student is 21 years of age or older by September 1st of the academic year requested.
  • The student is married.
  • The student is caring for a dependent child.
  • The student is a United States veteran.

Who is the exemption process not intended for?

The exemption process is generally not intended for students who:
  • Dislike their room, roommate, residence hall, or on-campus living in general.
  • Have disabilities such as mobility, visual, hearing or mental/emotional disabilities, or medical conditions such as asthma or allergies.
  • Have dietary concerns or are on special diets.
  • Want to live with a sibling, other relative or family friend.
  • Parents bought a house or condo and want student to live in it.
  • Already signed a lease for an off-campus house, apartment, condo, etc.
  • Have problems or concerns that need to be addressed but have not sought staff assistance.
There are many avenues besides moving off-campus for students to address the above concerns including talking with the residence hall professional staff, making a room change, moving to a different type of room, changing roommates, working with the Disability Concerns Office, etc. Students are expected to explore all possible avenues before requesting an exemption to the university housing requirement. Questions? Contact Residence Education at 815-740-3381. A Housing Exemption Application must be submitted to the Office of Residence Education every year during open housing enrollment periods to qualify. Students who do not submit a housing exemption request form, do not meet the requirements for being exempt, or attempt to falsify information on the Housing Exemption Form will be charged full room and board for that academic year. Incoming transfer students and international students must meet the residency requirement listed above and may also apply for an exemption if desired.