General Safety Tips
- Call 815-740-3200 or 911 if you feel unsafe.
- At night, try to stay in well-lit areas and use routes that are more heavily traveled.
- Avoid walking alone through isolated areas; avoid shortcuts through parking lots.
- Familiarize yourself with the location of telephones and blue boxes.
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Travel in groups whenever possible.
- Use the buddy system; when with a friend at a party or local establishment, agree to watch out for each other and to leave the event together or in a group.
- Avoid intoxicating substances and criminal activity.
- Report suspicious persons to activities to Security immediately at 3200.
- Always lock your office/dorm door.
- Never leave valuables in plain sight, always put them in a drawer or cabinet.
Parking Lot Safety
- Have your keys in your hand so you don’t have to search for them when you reach your vehicle.
- Before entering your vehicle, visually inspect the interior for anything suspicious.
- As soon as you entering your vehicle, lock all the doors and turn on your headlights.
- When parking at night try parking in a well-lit area.
- You can call Campus Security 24/7 for an escort to any building on campus.
Residence Hall Safety
- Always lock your door.
- Do not prop open doors and immediately close any you see propped.
- Don’t let strangers into your room or residence hall.
- Don’t keep valuables in plain sight.
- Do not give your room key to anyone.
- Report lost or stolen keys to Campus Security (3200) or Residence Education (3434).